Last updated : December 2017.
Granola is a nutrition rich food. We can prepare it in your home. In this article I will share with you that how to make granola at home. And also I share the properties of granola and its benefits.
- What is granola, what does it consist of?
- How to make granola at home
- Health benefits of granola
- Nutritional properties of granola
- How to eat granola
What is granola, what does it consist of?
Granola is a delicious food made from oat flakes and walnuts, which are mixed with honey and other natural ingredients. Among these extra natural ingredients we can mention raisins , dates and dried fruits. This mixture is baked until it turns into a wonderfully crispy food.
During the cooking process the mixture of oats, nuts and honey is stirred in order to maintain the typical consistency of the cereals. Its usually consumed at breakfast, and to avoid especially that the mixture becomes cakes.
It is a mixture of ingredients that was originally created in the year 1863 by the American doctor James Caleb Jackson. At that time he baptized it with the name of “granola”.
How to make granola at home
- 3 cups oat flakes.
- 1 cup filleted almonds.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds.
- 3/4 cup raw pistachios.
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds.
- 1 tablespoon of flax seeds.
- Half a cup of raisins.
- Half a cup of honey.
Preparation of tasty granola:
- First preheat the oven to medium temperature. Place a silicone foil or baking paper on the baking tray, or in a long baking dish.
- In a large bowl put all the ingredients, except the honey and mix everything well.
- Now place the mixture in the oven tray, forming a thin layer.
- Add honey over on the mixture. (for this honey must be liquid, in case you are not, you can introduce a little in the microwave). Avoiding mixing it so that granola balls do not form.
- Bake for 30 minutes at gentle temperature. Every 10 minutes, to prevent the mixture from burning, stir but gently.
- After 10 minutes remove from the oven and let it cool. Then add raisins over them. You can store it in an airtight container, and keep it for a month.
- Now the delicious healthy granola is ready to eat.
Health benefits of granola
We must take into account that the granola is made with nuts, dehydrated fruits and cereals. So that we are before a wonderful plate full of essential nutrients, standing out for its incredible nutritious richness. But let’s go in parts.
Health benefits of granola are given below:
1. Incredible richness in nutrients
Granola is full of nutrition rich food. For example, granola is a food rich in fiber, healthy fats, vitamins and especially minerals such as magnesium , zinc, selenium and phosphorus. How to make granola at home
2. Useful in slimming diets
- We must keep in mind that granola is a caloric food. However, consumed in small amounts and especially in the morning, it is perfectly ideal in slimming diets.
- Because its richness in fibre contributes satiety. So that will help us when we feel much more satisfied and less hungry, then eating less in the next meal.
3. Help against constipation
Granola becomes an ideal natural food against constipation. Because of its high content fibre. It helps to improve intestinal transit, especially when consumed on a regular basis every day.
4. Ideal for good cardiovascular health
Because of its high content of healthy fats, it is useful in reducing high cholesterol , while helping to control blood pressure . so it helps to good cardiovascular health.
5. Improve brain function
It also helps to improve the functioning of our brain. How to make granola at home
Nutritional properties of granola
|Calories||472 k cal||Vitamin E||2.09 mg|
|Carbohydrates||65 g||Vitamin K||14.6 µg|
|Proteins||10.00 g||Fibber||5.3 mg|
|Greases||19.80 g||Sodium||294 mg|
|Vitamin A||33 IU||Iron||2.95 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.90 mg||Calcium||61 mg|
|Vitamin B1||0.264 mg||Potassium||336 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.085 mg||Zinc||2.03 mg|
|Vitamin B9||23 µg||Magnesium||97 mg|
How to eat granola
You can choose between the options to enjoy the tasty and healthy granola that you like, such as:
- Milk: You can choose a bowl of milk, whether whole milk, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk. However, if you are following a slimming diet or simply maintain your weight, it is best to choose skim milk. Because the granola is already quite caloric and energetic.
- Vegetable drinks: If you are passionate about vegetable drinks, they also become a deliciously fun way to eat granola. The soy milk without any doubt, but you can also opt for almond milk.
- Yogurt: The yogurt also becomes another amazing nutritious option, since the qualities of granola we add all the benefits that brings you yogurt. properties of granola
Best of all the above ways to eat are good and healthy for diet. Granola is one of the amazing delicious food usually take as breakfast. In this article I share with you what is granola, how to make granola at home, properties of granola and health benefits of granola and also how to eat it. Don’t forget to share it. Are you ready to prepare and enjoy it?